The following English degrees are offered:
The English major offers courses in literature, composition, and creative writing designed to enhance communication skills, deepen cultural awareness, provide a breadth of knowledge appropriate for many degree and vocational programs, and prepare students for transfer to four-year institutions, and for a baccalaureate major in English or related majors.
A.A. — English
Required Programs (units)
Core Requirements-eighteen (18) units:
ENGLT 310 English Literature (3)
ENGLT 311 English Literature (3)
ENGLT 320 American Literature (3)
ENGLT 321 American Literature (3)
ENGWR 300 College Composition (3)
ENGWR 301 College Composition & Literature or
ENGWR 302 Adv Comp & Critical Thinking (3)
Electives - A minimum of 6 units from the following: 6
ENGCW 400 Creative Writing (3)
ENGCW 410 Fiction Writing Workshop (3)
ENGCW 420 Poetry Writing Workshop (3)
ENGCW 430 Creative Non-Fiction Writing Workshop (3)
ENGCW 452 College Literary Magazine (4)
ENGED 305 Structure of English (3)
ENGED 320 Tutor Elem Students in Reading (3)
ENGLT 303 Introduction to the Short Story (3)
ENGLT 345 Mythologies of the World (3)
ENGLT 360 Women in Literature (3)
ENGLT 370 Children and Literature (3)
ENGLT 402 Intro to Shakespeare and Film (3)
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED 24
This A.A. degree may be obtained by completion of the Required Program, plus General Education Requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- recognize the fundamental elements of poetry, drama, and prose and apply appropriate criteria to evaluate works of literature.
- identify major literary developments and authors in British and American literature and analyze their historical and cultural significance.
- evaluate and respond critically to the arguments of others.
- compose academic essays which support an insightful thesis with appropriate evidence, analysis, and concern for audience.
- analyze, evaluate, and integrate print and electronic sources in their essays, applying current MLA standards of documentation.
Required Program (Units)
ENGLT 341 World Literature (3))
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer Degree program provides students with a major that fulfills the general requirements for transfer to the California State University. Students with this degree will receive priority admission with junior status to the California State University system. Students should work closely with their Folsom Lake College counselor to ensure that they are taking the appropriate coursework to prepare for majoring in English at the institution they wish to transfer to because major and general education requirements may vary for each CSU and the degree may only transfer to specific institutions.
This program has the following completion requirements:
1. Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
A. The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education - Breadth Requirements.
B. A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
2. Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Rancho Cordova Center
Register Now for Fall
Looking for open classes?
Community Observatory Invites You