Degrees & Certificates
The following Humanities degrees and certificates are offered:
A.A. — Interdisciplinary Studies, Humanities
Required Program (units)
HUM 300 Classical Humanities (3)
HUM 310 Modern Humanities (3)
PHIL 300 Introduction to Philosophy (3)
A minimum of 12 units from the following:
ARTH 300, 333; CMED 305; ENGLT 340, 345;
HUM 320, 332, 334, 340; MUFHL 300;
PHIL 352, 358; TA 300 (12)
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED 21
This A.A. degree may be obtained by completion of the Required Program, plus General Education Requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total.
The Humanities program at Folsom Lake College offers students the opportunity to develop a breadth of interdisciplinary knowledge, enhance their appreciation of the arts, sharpen their critical thinking skills, and prepare them for transfer to the university.
Program Student Learnign Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Describe the fundamental questions people have pondered over the past 2500 years.
- Analyze, evaluate, and synthesize philosophical problems in order to develop and defend a position.
-Demonstrate an understanding of the development of culture as reflected in the arts, philosophy, and history of the Western world.
- Evaluate the artistic and cultural achievements of a particular period by comparing and contrasting them to the achievements of previous and subsequent periods.
- Demonstrate community and cultural awareness by attending cultural events and evaluating their relevance.
- Utilize research skills to write papers that examine the basic human values exemplified in the arts, literature, and/or philosophy of particular eras in history.
- Employ inductive or deductive reasoning to challenge or defend assertions in arguments and argumentative essays.
Sign up for Spring
Class schedule now online
Auditions for Spring Play
Community Observatory Invites You