Degrees & Certificates
The following Humanities degrees and certificates are offered:
A.A. — Interdisciplinary Studies, Humanities
Required Program (units)
HUM 300 Classical Humanities (3)
HUM 310 Modern Humanities (3)
PHIL 300 Introduction to Philosophy (3)
A minimum of 12 units from the following: 12
ARTH 333 Introduction to Islamic Art (3)
or ARTH 300 Introduction to Art (3)
ENGLT 345 Mythologies of the World (3)
or ENGLT 340 World Literature (3)
HUM 332 American Humanities (3)
or HUM 320 Asian Humanities (3)
MUFHL 300 Introduction to Music (3)
PHIL 352 Introduction to World Religions (3)
TA 300 Introduction to the Theatre (3)
TA 315 History of Film: 1950's to Present (3)
or TA 314 History of Film: 1880's through 1950's (3)
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED 21
This A.A. degree may be obtained by completion of the Required Program, plus General Education Requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total.
Program Student Learnign Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- investigate the fundamental questions people have pondered over the past 2500 years.
- evaluate philosophical problems in order to develop and defend a position.
- examine the relationships among the "letters" (philosophical treatises and literary works) and "arts" (music, architecture, theater, and visual arts) during particular epochs of cultural development.
- evaluate the artistic and cultural achievements of a particular period by comparing and contrasting them to the achievements of previous and subsequent periods.
- support the development of community and cultural awareness by attending cultural events and evaluating their relevance.
Class schedules now online
Supporting Student Success
BIG Day of Giving
It Pays to Stay