Liberal Studies for Elementary Education
Career Options & Highlights
This major is designed for students who wish to be teachers in public and private elementary schools. Further education at the university level will be required to fulfill all requirements for a teaching credential authorizing service in California public schools.
Teacher, primary grades; teacher, intermediate grades; Instructional Assistant
Classes beyond the associate degree may be required to fulfill some career options or for preparation for transfer to a university program.
This major is especially designed for students who plan to transfer into California State University, Sacramento’s Blended Teacher Preparation Program. This program provides all of the lower division courses necessary to gain admission to the university and the teacher credential blended program.
Other CSUS Requirements:
- Foreign Language: Students must complete the 2nd semester elementary level. For other exemptions, see coordinator or a counselor.
- Grade point average must be 2.67 in transferable baccalaureate courses.
- The Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE) should be taken at CSUS shortly after completing Critical Thinking (ENGWR 301/ENGWR 302).
- The Intermediate Algebra Diagnostic exam should be taken shortly after completing Intermediate Algebra (MATH 120).
- It is recommended that the CBEST be taken anytime after taking ENGWR 300, ENGWR 301 OR 302, and MATH 310.
When enrolled in ECE 350, students should request a letter of recommendation from the elementary school teacher with whom they work or from the ECE professor.
Other Associate in Arts degree requirements:
- Physical Education - any activity course
- Complete 60 Units
- Students must meet the Reading Competency requirement through either assessment, a class, or a college-level reading examination.
Steps to Success
Supporting Student Success
Community Observatory Invites You