Liberal Studies for Elementary Education
Career Options & Highlights
This major is designed for students who wish to be teachers in public and private elementary schools. Further education at the university level will be required to fulfill all requirements for a teaching credential authorizing service in California public schools.
Teacher, Primary Grades
Teacher, Intermediate Grades
Classes beyond the associate degree may be required to fulfill some career options or for preparation for transfer to a university program.
This major is especially designed for students who plan to transfer into California State University, Sacramento's (CSUS) Liberal Studies Program, which is a major for prospective elementary school teachers. This degree program provides all of the lower division courses necessary to gain admission to the university and the teacher credential program.
Other CSUS Requirements:
- Foreign Language: Students must complete the second semester elementary level. Speakers of languages other than English may see a counselor about qualifying for an exemption.
- Grade point average must be 2.67 in transferable courses.
- The Writing Proficiency for Juniors (WPJ) assessment should be taken at CSUS shortly after completing Critical Thinking (ENGWR 301/ENGWR 302).
- The Intermediate Algebra Diagnostic exam should be taken shortly after completing Intermediate Algebra (MATH 120).
- It is recommended that the CBEST be taken anytime after taking ENGWR 300, ENGWR 301 OR 302, and MATH 310.
Note: When enrolled in ECE 350, students should request a letter of recommendation from the elementary school teacher with whom they work or from the ECE professor.
NOTE: Please check with a counselor first, before beginning this program, as requirements are subject
Speaker Series: Alice Waters
Supporting Student Success
Social Justice Spring