Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
Degrees & Certificates
The following Medical Laboratory Technician degrees and certificates are offered:
A.S. - Medical Laboratory Technician
Required Program (Units)
MEDTEC 310 Introduction to Medical Laboratory Techniques and Skin Punctures (2)
MEDTEC 311 Advanced Phlebotomy Venipuncture Skills (2)
MEDTEC 312 Phlebotomy Clinical Internship (2-3.5)
MEDTEC 323 Clinical Chemistry and Urinalysis (4)
MEDTEC 330 Hematology (4)
MEDTEC 340 Immunology and Immunohematology (4)
MEDTEC 350 Clinical Microbiology (4)
MEDTEC 360 Chemistry and Urinalysis Practicum (4)
MEDTEC 361 Hematology and Hemostasis Practicum (4)
MEDTEC 362 Immunology and Immunohematology Practicum (3)
MEDTEC 363 Microbiology Practicum (4)
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED 37-38.5
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- pass the nationally recognized certification examination.
- apply appropriate quality control procedures and recognize and interpret erroneous results for any applicable medium-complexity laboratory testing process.
- describe the principles, the clinical significance, and critical values of applicable medium-complexity clinical laboratory test results.
- demonstrate safe use and disposal of bio-hazardous materials, and the proper methods of specimen preparation.
- assess sample quality and cite any pre-analytical variables in testing.
- demonstrate successful venipunctures and skin punctures on patients from a variety of age groups with a variety of medical conditions.
- exhibit professional and committed delivery of excellent health care.
Supporting Student Success
Sign up for Spring
Community Observatory Invites You