The following certificate is offered:
CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT
Required Program (units)
BUS 300 Introduction to Business (3)
BUS 310 Business Communications (3)
CISA 320 Introduction to Database Management (1)
MGMT 308 Personnel and Human Resources Management (3)
MGMT 310 Introduction to Public Management (3)
MGMT 311 Introduction to Public Financial Administration (3)
MGMT 315 Government Relations and Policy Development (3)
PRJMGT 300 Introduction to Project Management (3)
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED 22
This program is designed for students interested in careers in state, county, or municipal governments and community based non-profit organizations. The curriculum focuses on various competency areas for those wishing either to upgrade their managerial skills or enhance their existing abilities.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Identify the various types of public agencies: their administrative structures, lines of authority, roles and accountability.
-Ddefine the various levels, roles and concepts of public management and develop an understanding of how government works.
- Demonstrate the ability to assess public government issues and evaluate ethical dilemmas in public management.
- Describe the political, intergovernmental and environmental impacts facing public managers.
-Ddistinguish the various federal, state and local fiscal planning cycles and their implications for policy making and program evaluation.
- Research the key stakeholders of the political process and how they impact the functioning and allocation of resources at the management level.
- Review the development and management of government budgets, including budget formats, budget cycles, budget processes, operating budgets, analysis of revenue and expenditures, and related expenditure controls, cash management and accounting.
- Define the functions of public organizations and the inter-agency relationships between federal, state, and local public entities.
- Investigate and define the role of various public organizations, and stakeholders in the policy development process, including the legislative process at the state and federal levels.
Health and Wellness Day
Supporting Student Success