February 03, 2010
Calling all poets!
Kay Ryan, the Poet Laureate of the United States and California Community College English instructor for over 30 years, has chosen community colleges for her national poetry project: Poetry for the Mind’s Joy, a national poetry initiative launched in October 2009 by Ryan and the Library of Congress in conjunction with the Community College Humanities Association (CeRA). The initiative highlights the poetry generated on community college campuses as well as the vital role played by community colleges in nurturing lives and minds.
Poetry Contest at Folsom Lake College
* You must be a student enrolled at Folsom Lake College (FLC) or one of its outreach centers.
* Submission Deadline: Friday, February 19, 2010 at 5:00pm. Send your poem and cover page by email attachment (MS Word doc only) to firstname.lastname@example.org
* The poem and title must be typed and fit on one page using 12-point font.
* The cover page must include: author name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, student ID number, and permission to submit work to national contest and display work on campus.
* Only one poem can be chosen to represent FLC. FLC selection announced February 24, 2010
* All poetry submitted will be on display around campus during National Poetry Month, April 2010.
* The winning poem may be considered for the online anthology to be featured on the Library of Congress’ Poetry for the Mind’s Joy website in April 2010.
All poems will be judged on—
* Singularity and vividness of diction
* Consistency of voice and distance from reader
* Specificity and resonance of images and details
* Compelling movement
* Relationship of form, subject, and style