Professor / Accounting and Business
"Being active in clubs or activities makes Folsom Lake College your community, it also improves your desirability to transfer schools and future employers."
What advice would you give to a new college student?
Become involved in campus, don’t procrastinate on projects and have fun. This is a great time in your life.
- Meet new people through clubs or campus activities. Being active in clubs or activities makes Folsom Lake College your community, it also improves your desirability to transfer schools and future employers.
- Don’t leave your homework or studying to the last minute, it hurts your efforts to be perceived as a serious learner.
- If you have chosen a major, take some classes not required but you may be interested in. While a fulltime business major in college, I loved taking political science classes.
What’s the favorite part of your job?
Discussions in the classroom are my favorite. Whether a student is challenging our lesson or answers to the quiz, they keep me sharp. In every class I have taught, student input or feedback from their personal experiences or other classes has enriched the discussion and learning.
How are you helping students stay on top of the latest business trends?
Whether it is the latest accounting fraud, how businesses are surviving through the recession or the latest change in the business landscape, the Wall Street Journal serves as another textbook for all my classes. Where appropriate we bring business or finance current events into our discussions.
What was your proudest moment working with students?
- A note from a student after one semester whose Marine husband was deploying and said while it was the most difficult class she had taken, the lessons she had learned in Personal Finance would help her family be financially secure.
- Watching our 2009 FLC Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) team grow and present in the Regional competition and finish as 1st runner-up.
- Observing the efforts (over 50 hours of self-study) that the SIFE Volunteer Income Tax Assistance students made to support the income tax preparation of over 50 students, community members and FLC employees.
Gerry Tryhane has his B.S. from Long Island University and M.B.A. from Hofstra University.
Class schedules now online
Spring Blood Drive
Women's History Month
Student Art Show