• Fast-Track classes

    Fast-Track classes

    While most Spring classes have begun, there are a variety of classes that start throughout the semester.
  • Scholarships


    Variety of scholarship opportunities offered - deadline March 1
  • Arts Events

    Arts Events

    Students shine at the Harris Center this spring
  • Presidents Holidays

    Presidents Holidays

    The college will be closed on Friday, Feb. 15 and Monday, Feb. 18.
  • Spring Blood Drive

    Spring Blood Drive

    It's almost time for the FLC Spring Blood Drive!
  • Looking for open classes?

    Looking for open classes?

    Spring classes are available! Semester starts week of Jan. 19. Click on the photo for info.
If you have javascript disabled, click here to view the content

Home >  Student Services >  Admissions & Records >  Admissions Information >  Academic Policies

Academic Policies

Auditing Courses
Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition
Course Repetition
Pass/No Pass Grading
Privacy Rights of Students (Access to Records)
Transfer Credit Acceptance
Unit Load

Los Rios Community College District policy does not permit auditing, which is defined as attending a course or courses, without completing the registration process including payment.

A student may petition to have previous substandard work (D's and F's) earned at Folsom Lake College discounted. Courses and grades which no longer reflect a student's current educational objective and current level of academic success may upon petition be discounted in the computation of the grade point average (Title 5 section 55046). The following conditions must apply:

  • A minimum of 12 consecutive months shall have elapsed since the end of the semester or summer session in which the work to be alleviated was recorded; AND a minimum of 12 units must be earned with a grade of C/Pass or better shall have been attained. The coursework must have been completed at a regionally accredited college. If coursework outside of Los Rios is being used to meet these criteria, that college's official transcript must be on file with the FLC Admissions & Records office.
  • Current educational objectives must be discussed with a counselor, whose recommendation must be included on the petition.
  • No more than 30 units if substandard grades may be discounted.
  • Under no circumstances may course work be discounted if it has been granted to fulfill requirements for a degree or certificate that has been awarded.
  • All grades remain on the permanent record and transcript of grades. However, a proper notation on the transcript will indicate the specific grades that were discounted from the grade point average.
  • Academic renewal is not intended for courses that are required and/or will be repeated
  • Academic renewal petitions are available only through a counseling appointment.

Students are expected to attend all sessions of classes for which they are enrolled. Excessive absences may result in being dropped from classes. However, the student is responsible for dropping classes they have stopped attending in order to avoid penalties. Per Los Rios Board policy (P-2222), any student who is a no-show on the first day of class can be dropped by the instructor.

Repetition of courses must be conducted in compliance with California Title V Regulations, Sections 55040 through 55046.

Course repetition where substandard grade is recorded - Where a student has received a substandard grade in a course, a student may repeat that course up to a maximum of two (2) times in an effort to alleviate the substandard academic grade.  Substandard grade is defined as a notation of D, F, NC (no credit), NP (no pass), or W (withdrawal).  The grade and credits earned in the final enrollment shall be used exclusively in determining the grade points earned for that particular course.

Repeatable Courses - Courses taken, earning a grade of C or better CANNOT be repeated.  There are, however, certain specialized courses that are designated as "repeatable" and are listed as such in the course description in the catalog. These include:
•· Intercollegiate athletics and their related conditioning courses may be repeated to meet requirements for CCCCAA eligibility. 
•· Intercollegiate academic or vocational competition courses with the primary purpose to prepare students for competition.
•· Variable unit courses that are open entry/exit such as math, reading and writing laboratory courses; students may re-enroll in these courses as many times as necessary to complete one time the entire curriculum of the course.
•· Work Experience courses, which can be taken again when there is new or expanded learning on the job for a maximum of 16 units.

Repetition Absent Substandard Grades - Unless a specific exception applies, a student who has received a satisfactory grade shall not repeat a course. Satisfactory grade is defined as A, B, C, P (pass) or Cr (credit).  There are special circumstances that allow for repetition; however, the student must submit a petition requesting the course repetition.  These include:
•· Students may repeat a course when it is required by a statute or regulation as a condition of continued paid or volunteer employment, or as a result of a significant change in industry or licensure standards such that repetition is necessary.  These repetitions are limited and are granted based on the college's verification of established legal mandates.
•· Students may repeat a course if there has been a significant lapse of time since the first grade was obtained AND if the college has a properly established recency prerequisite for a course or program - or - if the college finds that another institution of higher education to which the student seeks to transfer has established a recency requirement which the student shall not be able to satisfy without repeating the course in question.
•· The college finds that the student's most recent previous grade is, at least in part, the result of extenuating circumstances (defined as verified cases of accident, illness or other circumstances beyond the student's control).  This is a one-time exception.

Repeats and withdrawals are tracked district-wide
- coupled with the following Title 5 course repetition regulations:
•·    Students are limited to three enrollments or attempts to a course
•·    Letter grades and Withdrawal (W) notations are counted towards a course enrollment.
•·    Enrollments include ALL prior coursework in Los Rios

A student may elect one course per semester to be graded on a Pass or No Pass basis.  A petition must be filed with the Admissions Office for this option prior to published deadlines. The equivalent of an “A”, “B” or “C” received for the course will be recorded as a “P”, with units earned. The equivalent of “D” or “F” will be recorded as “NP”, with no units earned. Units attempted for Pass/No Pass grades are not computed in the grade point average, but are used for determining Progress Probation and Progress Dismissal.

A maximum of 15 credit units may be applied toward the Associate in Arts or Science degree. Once elected, the Pass-No Pass grade may not be changed to a letter grade assigned by the instructor.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 protects the privacy of a student's educational records by placing limits on who may have access to their records, what information may be shared or disclosed, and how that information may be used.  Folsom Lake College complies with FERPA and has strict policies and procedures in place governing student records.  In general, the college does not permit access to a student's records or disclose information in them to anyone (including a student's parents) without the student's written consent.  The student's age is not a factor.

The Los Rios Board of Trustees, in order to meet the provisions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and the Education Code, has established policies giving students and parents of dependent students access to certain designated records.

As a student you have four primary rights under FERPA:
1. The right to have some control over the disclosure of information from the education record (with certain exceptions provided by the law).
2. The right to inspect and review the education records.
3. The right to challenge or seek to amend the education records under certain circumstances.
4. The right to file a complaint with the Vice President of Student Development & Enrollment Management and/or the Family Compliance Office of the U.S. Department of Education.

A summary of the rights and procedures for access are contained in the Students Rights and Responsibilities section of the Los Rios Community College District Policy manual. Complete copies of the Act, Education Code, and Board policies are available in the offices of Admissions and Records and the Vice President of Student Services.

District Regulation 2265 provides for the release, without student consent, of Student Directory Information, i.e., student’s name, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and most recent previous public or private school attended. In addition, federal law provides that representatives of the U.S. Department of Defense shall be provided a student’s name, address and telephone number for recruitment purposes. Students have the right to refuse the release of one or more such designated categories by submitting the Opt-Out form to the Admissions & Records Office. Click here to download the FLC Request to Withhold Directory Information form.

Access to Student Records by Parents
For detailed information about parental access to student records, click here.

Upon receipt of official transcripts, FLC will accept coursework from colleges and universities that are accredited by the following regional bodies:
MSA Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
NASC Northwest Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities
NCA North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
NEASC New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.
SACS Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
WASC Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Coursework accepted cannot be remedial or post-baccalaureate in nature. Transfer credit awarded may not be reflected on students' records, but the credit is kept on file for use in completion of degrees or certificates at FLC.

Foreign transcript evaluation agencies - Students wishing to use coursework from a foreign college or university will need to get their coursework evaluated.  Once the evaluation has been completed, please submit official copies to Admissions & Records.  Please keep in mind that FLC is unable to award credit for coursework that is high school, remedial or post-baccalaureate in nature.
We will accept evaluations that are completed by a company that is a current member of NACES (www.naces.org/members.htm) or AICE (www.aice-eval.org). When asking for an evaluation, ask for a breakdown of course work into General Education Academic Areas, whether or not unit values are in Semester or Quarter Units, and which coursework is lower and/or upper division or graduate level.

Official transcripts from colleges, universities, foreign transcript evaluation agencies and high schools should be sent to:
Folsom Lake College
Evaluations Department
10 College Parkway
Folsom, CA  95630

A full-time student must enroll in and complete a minimum of 12 units (fall/spring). The maximum load is 18 units during the fall and spring semesters (8 units in the summer). Students who wish to enroll in more than 18 units must file an Exceed Unit Petition requesting to exceed the unit limit with a counselor prior to adding additional classes.

Return To Top