• Fast-Track classes

    Fast-Track classes

    While most Spring classes have begun, there are a variety of classes that start throughout the semester.
  • Scholarships


    Variety of scholarship opportunities offered - deadline March 4
  • Supporting Student Success

    Supporting Student Success

    Folsom Lake College offers a variety of free workshops to help students succeed
  • Sign up for Spring

    Sign up for Spring

    Save your spot - enroll now! Spring classes start Jan. 16. Click on the photo to get started.
  • Presidents' Holidays

    Presidents' Holidays

    The college will be closed on Friday, Feb. 12 and Monday, Feb. 15.
  • Community Observatory Invites You

    Community Observatory Invites You

    See the stars at the Community Observatory behind the El Dorado Center!
If you have javascript disabled, click here to view the content

Home >  Student Services >  Admissions & Records >  Apply and Register >  High School Students

High School Students

If you are a high school student you may be eligible to enroll in two college courses each semester as an advanced education student if:

  • You have completed the 10th grade or be 16 years old by the first day of instruction;
  • You demonstrate exemplary academic achievement as evidenced by a GPA of 2.7 or above, an analysis of transcripts, assessment results, letters of support from high school counselors and teachers and/or other academic success indicators;
  • The course you want to take is not available to you at your school;
  • The course is not remedial (1-99 classes);
  • The course is not being repeated due to an unsatisfactory grade;
  • The course is for advanced study and you are able to demonstrate adequate preparation and completed pre-requisites for the course.

Before you register for classes, you must complete an “Advanced Education” Admission Packet which you can download from the link below or obtain at the college or your high school.

You must follow these steps EVERY semester that you wish to register in classes as an advanced education student:

STEP 1: Application Process
Complete the online Los Rios application.
- Complete Advanced Education Application including the following:

  • Copy of high school transcript and current high school class schedule.
  • Approval signatures of High School Official and Parent/Legal Guardian.
  • A copy of your Private School Affidavit when appropriate.
  • Documentation of age (16 years of age or older).
  • Completed personal statement.

IMPORTANT! The high school administrator or counselor who approves and signs your Advanced Education Application must be on the Approved List for that school.  For private/home schools, the administrator who signs must be listed on the Private School Affidavit.  Students with Applications that do not have "approved" signers will not be allowed to meet with a FLC counselor.

STEP 2: Assessment
- If assessment placement is a prerequisite for the course, you must take the assessment test BEFORE you meet with a college counselor.  Results must be attached to the advanced education packet.

STEP 3: Counseling
- Advanced education students must have their Advanced Education application packet approved by a FLC counselor.   Call the Counseling office at 916-608-6510 for drop-in counseling information. (See cover sheet of Advanced Education Packet for designated times for drop-in.)

STEP 4: In- Person Registration
-  Register for classes at Admissions & Records counter (in person) at FLC, EDC or RCC. Advanced Education students cannot enroll online. Students must register with approved packet and photo ID at the Admissions & Records counter. 

STEP 5: Fee payment
- Pay transit pass (UTP) and student representation fees (enrollment fees are waived). High school students may be exempt from fees associated with being a California Non-Resident; however, international student fees will apply.  For more information, contact Admissions & Records.

For more information or to make a counseling appointment, please call FLC at 916-608-6510, EDC at 530-642-5645 or RCC at 916-255-0717.