You should begin planning for your classes as soon as you begin the international student application process. If you are in the U.S., you should meet with an academic counselor to discuss your goals. Please keep in mind that classes fill up quickly and you should register as early as you can. As an international student you are required to enroll in and complete 12 units per semester. Each of the following must be done in order to prepare for class registration.
1. Counseling: There are a number of counselors available to help you with planning your academic program. Please call (916) 608-6510 to make an appointment with the international student counselor. It can be difficult to meet with a counselor at the beginning of each semester since the counselors are very busy, so please call to make an appointment as soon as possible. Be sure to bring a copy of your assessment test scores as well as any transcripts you may have.
2. Class Schedule: The class schedule is available online. After you decide on the classes you will need with your counselor, you will use the class schedule to check the times and day so each class. Because classes fill up so quickly, it is important to choose some alternative sections or classes.
3. Health Insurance: Hospital, doctor or dentist fees can be very expensive in the U.S. It is very important that you are responsible about having adequate health insurance. You must purchase health insurance coverage.
4. Tuberculosis Skin Test: All students must have a Tuberculosis skin test clearance. The test is offered free at all of the college health centers in the Los Rios Community College District: American River College, Cosumnes River College, Folsom Lake College and Sacramento City College. A form is included in your packet.
5. International Student Orientation: At the beginning of each semester, there is an international student orientation. This is an opportunity to meet with the other international students. Important information regarding your F-1 status will be discussed as well as employment requirements. The academic counselor for international students will be there as well. You will receive an email at the beginning of the semester with information on the time and date of the orientation.
Folsom Lake College | 1-916-608-6500 10 College Parkway, Folsom, CA 95630
El Dorado Center | 1-530-642-5644 6699 Campus Drive, Placerville, CA 95667