• Earth Week Festival

    Earth Week Festival

    Join us for our 11th Annual Earth Week Festival April 17-22
  • Class schedules now online

    Class schedules now online

    The Summer and Fall class schedules are online now! Click on the photo for more info.
  • Patrons Luncheon

    Patrons Luncheon

    The El Dorado Center Patrons Club will hold annual luncheon on April 21
  • The Nose Knows

    The Nose Knows

    The Falcon's Eye Theatre's spring production of "Cyrano" runs April 28-May 14
  • Future Falcons Day

    Future Falcons Day

    Join us for the 1st Annual Future Falcons Day on Sat., 4/29
  • Big Day of Giving

    Big Day of Giving

    On May 4th, help make our region the #1 most generous community!
If you have javascript disabled, click here to view the content

Home >  Student Services >  Admissions & Records >  Apply and Register >  International Students >  Employment Information

Employment Information

Employment options are limited for International Students. Please read the following information carefully. Do not accept any employment until you've talked to the International Student Advisor. Any unauthorized employment may result in your falling out of status.
As an international student, you are able to work at FLC for 20 hours per week (or less). In the summer, you may work more than 20 hours per week. Please remember that you can only work on the Folsom Lake College campus, so talk with your International Student Advisor for more information. If you don't already have a Social Security Card, you will need to apply for one. To apply for a social security card, you will need the following items:

1. A completed Form SS-5: Application for a Social Security Card
2. At least two documents that establish age, identity and alien status:
    A. Passport that has been issued at least one year prior to applying for SSN. If it's a new passport, then a birth certificate may also be required or previous passport.
    B. SEVIS I-20 FORM
3. A current I-94 card, also known as the "arrival / departure card." (This I-94 card should be stamped with the correct notation "F-1 D/S.")
4. A letter issued by the Designated School Official (DSO), Admissions and Records. This letter verifies your status as an international student.
5. Letter from the department on campus that is employing you.

Off campus employment opportunities are limited for international students. The reason for this is because your primary purpose in coming to the U.S. is to be a student and not seek permanent or full-time employment. There are three types of off-campus employment available to international students: (1) Optional Practical Training, (2) Curricular Practical Training, (3) Economic Hardship. The application and approval process is complicated and should be discussed thoroughly with Admissions and Records. A brief description of each type of employment approval is given below.

1. Optional Practical Training (OPT): Upon completion of your program, you may be approved for one year of employment authorization. This employment period is considered a part of your program and allows you to use what you've learned in a work environment. It is temporary employment related to your program of study.
    a. This is usually taken after completion of program
    b. May be used during school year on a part-time basis.
    c. May be used during summer vacation.
    d. The Application for approval is submitted to USCIS and can take up to four months for approval.
    e. You must have been in F-1 status for 1 year.
    f. Requires a Social Security Card.
2. Curricular Practical Training (CPT): This is work experience that is considered an integral part of the academic program.
    a. You must demonstrate that the work experience is considered an integral or important part of your academic program.
    b. Employment is based on a specific job. Approval requires offer letter from employer.
    c. You must be registered for work experience units. A letter from Work Experience Coordinator is required.
    d. Approval from the International Student Advisor in Admissions and Records.
    e. Application materials are submitted to the International Student Advisor and can take up to two weeks for approval. Approval is for one semester only.
    f. Must have been in F-1 status for 1 year.
    g. Requires a Social Security Card
3. Severe Economic Hardship: This is an off-campus employment approval if you are experience financial difficulty and need additional employment other than off-campus or can't find any on-campus employment. This is not a quick fix solution to financial difficulty, but it will give you the opportunity to apply for more jobs.
    a. You need to demonstrate that your financial situation is severe and unexpected.
    b. This is a separate approval from Optional Practical Training, so it does not take away any time from OPT.
    c. The Application for approval is submitted to USCIS and can take up to four months for approval.
    d. You must have been in F-1 status for 1 year.
    e. Requires a Social Security Card.