• Register Now for Summer & Fall

    Register Now for Summer & Fall

    Open registration is underway. Summer starts June 8. Fall starts Aug. 22.
  • Looking for open classes?

    Looking for open classes?

    Summer classes are available! Session starts June 8. Click on the photo for info.
  • Graduation


    FLC's 2015 Commencement Ceremony will be held Wed., May 20 at 6:30pm
  • Los Rios Night

    Los Rios Night

    Los Rios Night at Raley Field on June 6 for River Cats game
  • Summer Transferable Classes

    Summer Transferable Classes

    This summer, FLC offers a wide variety of classes that are transferable to CSU and/or UC.
  • Class schedules now online

    Class schedules now online

    The Summer and Fall class schedules are online now! Click on the photo for more info.
If you have javascript disabled, click here to view the content

Home >  Student Services >  Admissions & Records >  Apply and Register >  Veterans >  Chapter benefits

VA Chapter Benefits - General Information and Application Steps

Click on appropriate link for information about each Chapter:
Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty, Chapter 30
Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33
• Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserves, Chapter 1606
• Montgomery GI Bill - Activated Reservists, Chapter 1607
• Vocational Rehabilitation and Education program, Chapter 31
• Survivors & Dependents, Chapter 35

1. Submit appropriate VA application form
    a. New students (who have never received benefits)
        Complete VA form 22-1990 Application for Education Benefits (veterans and reservists)
        or VA form 22-5490 (dependents) - go to www.gibill.va.gov (Apply Online link)   OR
    b. Transfer students (previously certified at another college or FLC)
        Complete VA form 22-1995 "Request for Change of Program or Place of Training 
        (veterans and reservists) or VA form 22-5495 (dependents) - available in FLC VA office
2. Submit FLC VA Intake Form and Statement of Student Understanding Form-
    downloadable from FLC Veterans home page or in office
3. Submit copy of DD214-Member 4 copy (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active
    Duty).  You will be granted 4 units of college credit (living skills requirement towards
    associate degree).  The VA will NOT pay for classes in this category.
4. Request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges including military
    transcripts and foreign transcripts.
    Federal regulations require veterans/dependents to submit OFFICIAL transcripts to FLC
    from all other schools, colleges, training institutions and technical schools attended.  This
    includes all training and education received before entering active duty as well as any
    received during service and after discharge, even if VA benefits were not used.
    You can request military transcripts at:
    AARTS:  http://aarts.army.mil
    SMART:  http://www.navycollege.navy.mil/transcript.html
    CGI:        http://uscg.mil/hg.cgi
    CCAF:     http://maxwell.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp
    Do NOT open sealed transcripts when you receive them.  They must be sealed in order
    to be considered by the college.
5. Complete the pre-enrollment process by participating in the college's online new student orientation and
    taking the English and math assessment tests (schedule and more information is available
    online at www.flc.losrios.edu at Assessment & Orientation pages).
6. Contact Counseling at (916) 608-6510 to make an appointment to develop your VA
    educational plan - which is a required element of receiving benefits.
    a. Veterans and dependents are required by law to declare a two-year major or certificate
        listed in the FLC catalog, or a transfer major based on agreements with CSU and UC
        schools.  Being undeclared is not acceptable for VA purposes.
    b. The educational plan must be specific and indicate each class you must complete to
        fulfill your objective as well as coursework you have already completed (prerequisites,
        GE requirements, major requirements, and electives).  Be aware that the VA places
        restrictions on what courses you may be paid for. 
7. Veterans may apply for financial aid in addition to their VA benefits. Receipt of federal
    aid will not reduce your eligibility for VA educational benefits. Prior to enrollment, you may
    contact a representative in the financial aid office to review your anticipated financial aid
    eligibility (beyond your veterans educational benefits). Additional information can be 
    obtained online at one of the following links:  FLC FINANCIAL AID or FINAID.ORG.
8. Register for your classes.  Take advantage of priority registration!
9. Submit FLC VA Request for Certification form to VA certifying official (this is required
    EVERY semester prior to our college certifying your classes with the VA).  We will NOT
    assume that you are electing to use your VA educational benefits during a given semester.

Establishes a program of educational benefits for eligible persons entering military service after June 30, 1985, who have had their basic military pay reduced for their first 12 months of service and received a discharge specified as "honorable".  The maximum entitlement is 36 months of full-time benefits.  Monthly benefit rates are determined by the VA.  Benefits terminate 10 years after date of separation. 
Chapter 30 Kickers - Higher monthly benefits are paid to Chapter 30 participants with "kickers" and to Chapter 30 participants who made additional Chapter 30 payments.

POST 9/11 GI BILL (Chapter 33)
The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. 
This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits; generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

To be eligible for educational assistance a person must have a 6-year obligation to serve in the selected reserve after June 30, 1985.  Maximum entitlement is 36 months of full-time benefits which terminate 10 years from the date of eligibility or the day following separation from a reserve component.
Chapter 1606 Kickers - An additional amount, called a kicker, may be added to the benefit of some Chapter 1606 students.
NOTE: Active duty personnel are reimbursed for tuition and fees only, but are accessed entitlement charges at teh rate of attend.

Chapter 1607 makes certain individuals who were activated on or after 9-11-01 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.  Maximum entitlement is 36 months of full-time benefits.

The VR&E program is is administered by a different department of VA than regular education benefits.  This program has two key goals:
First, to assist the service-disabled veteran to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment (including educational assistance).
Second, for those persons who are severely disabled and that gainful employment is not an option, assistance may be provided to allow that person to live more independently in his or her community.
More information about VR&E benefits may be found by visiting your local VA Regional Office, by going online to http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/index.htm, or by calling 1-800-827-1000.

Sons, daughters and spouses of a veteran may be eligible for benefits if the veteran died while on active duty, died after discharge from active duty of a service-connected disability, is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability, or listed as missing in action for a total of more than 90 days.  Eligible persons are entitled to a maximum of 45 months of full-time benefits.  Generally, the eligibility period for sons and daughters is between the ages of 18 and 26.  A spouse may use educational benefits during a 10 year period after eligibility is found.

12 months of training assistance to unemployed Veterans.  For information, click here.

 Return to Top of Page