• Fast-Track classes

    Fast-Track classes

    While most Spring classes have begun, there are a variety of classes that start throughout the semester.
  • Social Justice Spring

    Social Justice Spring

    FLC presents a lineup of activities celebrating diversity, equity, and equality this spring.
  • It Pays to Stay

    It Pays to Stay

    Need a little mid-term encouragement? Know that the education you are getting now WILL pay off.
  • Arts Events

    Arts Events

    Students shine at the Harris Center this spring
  • Spring Blood Drive

    Spring Blood Drive

    It's almost time for the FLC Spring Blood Drive!
  • Scholarships


    Variety of scholarship opportunities offered - deadline March 1
If you have javascript disabled, click here to view the content

Home >  Student Services >  Counseling >  Transfer >  General Education Patterns

General Education Patterns

-FLC AA Graduation Requirements 2017-18

-CSU GE Requirements 2017-2018

-IGETC Requirements 2017-2018

If a college degree is your goal, then general education courses (GE) will comprise approximately one-third of your course work.

What are general education courses?
General education courses are classes which are outside of your major course of study. They cover a wide range of disciplines such as the natural sciences, humanities and fine arts, language and reasoning, the social sciences, etc. This expansion of academic fields will complement the more specialized courses in your major.

Why take general education courses?
By taking courses over a wide range of disciplines, you will increase your capacity to develop self-understanding, analytical thinking, evaluation of ethical problems, as well as gain logical thinking skills and insight into the world in which we live.

Must I choose a specific GE pattern?
If you are pursuing a particular college degree you should fulfill the GE pattern which is specifically appropriate for his/her academic goal. These patterns vary, but generally, you will complete 21-39 units of GE course work. Most students planning to transfer to a four-year university, or a student seeking an occupational A.A. degree, will need to complete a total of 60 units that includes the general education units.

Do GE patterns differ much?
Patterns differ both in quantity and in content. Four different scenarios are outlined below:

  1. To pursue an occupational A.A. or A.S. degree from Folsom Lake College (such as Early Childhood Education or Administration of Justice/Correctional Science), you must complete a vigorous GE pattern which is less demanding than the pattern for a student who plans to transfer to a four-year college.
  2. If you plan to transfer to one of the California State University campuses you may either follow the CSU General Education Breadth or IGETC pattern, depending upon your chosen major.
  3. To transfer to any of the University of California campuses, you will have a more rigorous path. This is because each of the UC campuses houses a number of schools and/or colleges. UC Berkeley, for example, has the College of Environmental Design, the School of Business Administration, etc. A student's major falls within one of these particular schools or colleges, and each has its own particular GE pattern (usually referred to as Breadth Requirements). However, the IGETC pattern can be used at many UC campuses Since there are so many different patterns within the UC system, it is wise to contact your campus of choice to identify the needed pattern and whether following IGETC is the best choice. For assistance, see a Folsom Lake College counselor.
  4. To transfer to a private or out-of-state college (such as Stanford University or University of Oregon), you should thoroughly read that college's current catalog for GE requirements. Some private and out of state colleges also accept the IGETC or CSU GE pattern. Please consult a counselor for details.

Be aware that GE patterns may vary slightly from year to year, so consult the school's catalog and/or check with a counselor to be sure you are on the right track!