• Fast-Track classes

    Fast-Track classes

    While most Spring classes have begun, there are a variety of classes that start throughout the semester.
  • Scholarships


    Variety of scholarship opportunities offered - deadline March 1
  • Arts Events

    Arts Events

    Students shine at the Harris Center this spring
  • Presidents Holidays

    Presidents Holidays

    The college will be closed on Friday, Feb. 15 and Monday, Feb. 18.
  • Spring Blood Drive

    Spring Blood Drive

    It's almost time for the FLC Spring Blood Drive!
  • Looking for open classes?

    Looking for open classes?

    Spring classes are available! Semester starts week of Jan. 19. Click on the photo for info.
If you have javascript disabled, click here to view the content

Home >  Student Services >  Student Aid >  Financial Aid >  CA Dream Act

California Dream Act

What is the California DREAM Act?
The California DREAM Act is the result of two laws, Assembly Bill 130 (AB 130) and Assembly Bill 131 (AB 131) that were passed in 2011. Together, these bills allow undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of AB 540 law (see below) to apply for and receive several types of financial aid:

• California College Promise Grant (Formerly BOG Fee Waiver) to waive enrollment fees
• State financial aid including Cal Grants and Chafee Grants
• Assistance from EOPS, CARE or CalWORKs

The California DREAM Act students do not file FAFSA - but instead pursue financial aid eligibility through the California Dream Act Application (https://dream.csac.ca.gov).

Note: If you have a valid Social Security Number, are a US Citizen, and a resident of California, then you cannot complete the California Dream Act Application.

Students with a valid Social Security Number should complete the FAFSA.  Click here to access the FAFSA website.

What is an AB 540 student?
Assembly Bill 540 is a California state law that allows students who meet certain requirements to pay in-state tuition fees at any California community college. AB 540 students are exempt from paying non-resident enrollment fees, if they meet all of the following criteria:

• Attended a California high school for at least three years;
• Graduated from a California high school, earned a GED, or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam;
• Are registered or enrolled at a California community college; AND
• In the case of students without legal immigration status, complete an affidavit saying they have filed (or will file when they are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status (and not hold a valid non-immigrant visa such as visas F, J, H, and L).

AB 540 students are still considered non-residents, however, and cannot obtain federal financial aid.
AB 540 form: http://www.flc.losrios.edu/Documents/Student Services/AB540.pdf

Where DO I Start?

COLLEGE STEPS TO SUCCESS - similar to ALL NEW students:

  1. Complete Los Rios Admissions Application - for Folsom Lake College
  2. Complete AB 540 CA Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form and submit to FLC Admissions & Records office (FLC contact person is Lupe Martinez @ 916-608-6568). Official high school transcript(s) must be attached.
  3. Undocumented students who meet the criteria listed above should proceed to fill out the California Dream Act Application online.
  4. Los Rios online orientation
  5. FLC math and English assessment
  6. FLC Academic planning session
  7. Register for classes 

Click the link below for more information:

California Dream Act

California Dream Act FAQs

California Dream Act Overview (Folsom Lake College)