• Class schedules now online

    Class schedules now online

    The Summer and Fall class schedules are online now! Click on the photo for more info.
  • Student Art Show

    Student Art Show

    Annual Art Exhibition runs through May 10 at Harris Center for the Arts
  • Patrons Luncheon

    Patrons Luncheon

    The El Dorado Center Patrons Club will hold annual luncheon on April 17
  • Cloud Nine

    Cloud Nine

    The Falcon's Eye Theatre's spring production will run April 17-May 3
  • Student Elections

    Student Elections

    Looking for student leaders for 2015-2016!
  • Earth Week Festival

    Earth Week Festival

    Join us for our 9th Annual Earth Week Festival April 20-24
If you have javascript disabled, click here to view the content

Home >  Student Services >  Student Aid >  Financial Aid >  How to Apply

How to Apply

To be considered for financial aid, a student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is the first step in the financial aid process and is the sole application that is used to apply for grants, loans, and work-study. The FAFSA collects financial and other information used to calculate the expected family contribution (EFC) and to confirm eligibility through computer matches with other agencies (see Match requirements).

Click here to watch a video designed to help students get started with the FAFSA.

Types of Applications:
Students can fill out a paper FAFSA or they can apply electronically through FAFSA on the Web at www.fafsa.gov.  Students who have applied through FAFSA on the Web in previous years may be able to import prior data on their current FAFSA.  You are encouraged to review the imported fields and make any necessary corrections to avoid any delays in processing your financial aid.

Many students still use the paper FAFSA.  Click here to download a Paper FAFSA application and mail it to the address provided for the Federal Processor.

FAFSA on the Web
Students can use FAFSA on the Web at www.fafsa.gov to complete an application online and submit it directly to the Central Processing System (CPS). Students can also correct any of their previously submitted data except for SSN and Marital Status. Online help is available to complete the FAFSA and students can call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

FAFSA on the Web is the fastest way to apply for financial aid. In addition, the student information is edited before it is submitted. Therefore, if you made any errors or left out any information, FAFSA on the Web will call this to your attention before you submit your information. This reduces the chances that student data will be rejected for some reason and makes it less likely that students will have to correct the information later. The Federal School Code for Folsom Lake College is 038713.

Note: Applicants who fail to list Folsom Lake College will not be considered for Federal Aid at Folsom Lake College.

How to Update your FAFSA after filing your taxes:

Did you submit your FAFSA before you (or your parents, if you are a dependent student) filed your taxes?  If so, don't forget you are required to return to your application to update the information you originally estimated.

The easiest way to update your tax information is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT). It allows you to transfer your tax information directly into your FAFSA! Check to see if your tax return is available and if you are eligible to use the tool, but keep in mind, you generally have to wait a few weeks after filing your taxes before you can use the IRS DRT.

To update your FAFSA:

  1. Log on to www.fafsa.gov.
  2. Click Make a Correction.
  3. Navigate to the "Finances section."
  4. Change your answer from "Will file" to "Already completed."

At this point, if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT, you will see a Link to IRS button. If you are not eligible to use the IRS DRT, you can manually enter the data from your completed tax return.

  1. Click Link to IRS and log in with the IRS to retrieve your tax information.
  • Enter the requested information exactly as it appears on your tax return.
  • Review your information to see what tax data will be transferred into your FAFSA.
  • Check Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA, and click Transfer Now to return to the FAFSA.
  1. Review the data that was transferred to your FAFSA and click Next.
  2. Sign and submit your updated FAFSA.

Once you've made updates at www.fafsa.gov, your changes will be processed in three to five days. You'll receive a revised Student Aid Report (SAR) indicating the changes made to your application.

Click here to watch a video that walks you through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool process.

The Pin:
The Personal Identification Number (PIN) gives students Internet access to their information in FSA systems. Students can get a PIN by going to the website at www.pin.ed.gov . Applying for a PIN is a one-time process.

Students can utilize their pin to electronically sign the following application forms:
-- FAFSA on the Web
-- Renewal FAFSA on the Web
-- Corrections on the Web

If you are a dependent student, your parent(s) may also electronically sign your FAFSA using their PIN. If they do not currently have a PIN, they can also apply for a PIN online at www.pin.ed.gov. Only one parent is required to sign the FAFSA.

Apply Early!
To ensure that any financial aid package received by a student contains aid from as many sources as possible, the student must apply as soon as January 1st for the upcoming fall, spring and summer semesters.