Rancho Cordova Center
Register Now for Fall
Looking for open classes?
Community Observatory Invites You
Classified of the Year
- Regulatory Update
- > Rights and Responsibilities
- Cost of Attendance
- Financial Aid Programs
- BOG Fee Waiver
- CA Dream Act
- Cal Grants
- Pell Grants
- FSEO Grant
- Direct Loans
- How to Apply
- What to Expect After you Apply
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- Appeal Eligibility
- Financial Aid Deadlines
- Financial Aid Forms
- Financial Aid Orientation
- Job Openings (Federal Work Study)
- Other Financial Aid Information
- Useful Links
- Service Animal Guidelines
- Campus Job Opportunities
Rights and Responsibilities
Rights and Responsibilities of Financial Aid Recipients
A Folsom Lake College (FLC) student receiving financial aid has the right to the following:
- Information on federal, state and institutional financial aid programs.
- Notice of deadlines of applications of each financial aid program and for any supporting documentation.
- Explanation of the various elements in your financial aid package, and how and when you will receive your financial aid.
- Explanation of the costs to attend FLC and the policies if you withdraw.
- Explanation of how your financial aid offer was determined.
- Explanation of the portion of your financial aid that is a grant, and how much must be paid back. If you are offered a loan, you have the right to know the interest rate, the total amount that must be repaid, your repayment options, when repayment begins, how long you have to repay, and conditions of deferments and cancellations.
- Explanation of how to be considered for additional aid if your financial circumstances change.
- Explanation of how FLC determines whether or not a student is making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Explanation of how to reapply for financial aid for subsequent years.
As a Financial Aid applicant at FLC, I must adhere to the following responsibilities:
- A photo ID is required in order to obtain any information pertaining to my financial aid status at the Financial Aid Office. My WEB ID and college student ID numbers are required to obtain my financial aid information over the phone.
- The Financial Aid Office cannot make copies of required documents. I must retain a copy of all submitted Financial Aid documents for my records. Students who wish to mail documents to the Financial Aid Office will be mailed a letter of receipt within three business days of receipt of your documents. The Financial Aid Office is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or destroyed documents via mail.
- To establish financial aid eligibility at FLC, I must have a current admissions application, register for classes, be enrolled in an eligible program, and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Please refer to the SAP policy online at www.flc.losrios.edu Quick Links: Financial Aid, then click on Satisfactory Academic Progress on the left menu.
- I must declare an eligible educational goal each semester when completing the supplemental form online or with the A&R Office in order to be eligible for financial aid. If my declared Educational goal is to obtain a certificate program at FLC, I will be ineligible for financial aid if the courses I am enrolled in are not required as part of the certificate program. Students who have an ineligible educational goal, undeclared major, or enrolled in an ineligible certificate program at FLC are not eligible to receive financial aid.
- I must keep my mailing address current with the Admissions & Records Office, Financial Aid Office, and Higher One separately. Checks, if selected as a refund preference, will be mailed to the mailing address with Higher One. The Financial Aid Office will correspond with me via the email address on my FAFSA. I will check my email regularly for updates and information pertaining to my financial aid status. If I did not provide a valid email address on my FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will correspond with me via the mailing address on my FAFSA. As a result, I must keep all my mailing and email addresses current at all times.
- My name, date of birth, and social security number must match ALL of the following in order for aid to be disbursed: CA Driver's License/I.D., Social Security Card, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) documents (if applicable), and records at the Financial Aid and Admissions offices.
- I must have a high school diploma or equivalent (such as a General Educational Development certificate (GED), State Equivalent test, or have been home schooled). If I was enrolled in an eligible Title IV program prior to July 1, 2012, I may be eligible to meet the high school requirement if I successfully completed six degree or certificate applicable/transferable units offered by the institution.
- If I do not maintain SAP, I will be dismissed and must review the Appeal Eligibility criteria. If eligible I must submit a Financial Aid Appeal form to request an evaluation to determine further eligibility for receiving financial aid. See appeal deadlines online at www.flc.losrios.edu Quick Links: Financial Aid, then click on Financial Aid Deadlines on the left menu. Appeal review may take up to 10 weeks.
- I am encouraged to have official academic transcripts on file with the Admissions & Records (A&R) Office for all colleges attended other than Los Rios colleges (ARC, CRC, FLC, and SCC). This will allow me to receive credit for coursework taken at another institution that is accepted towards my Educational Goal at FLC. I will be dismissed or may have to repay if I completed a prior Bachelor's degree or higher (including a foreign degree) or have attempted 150% of units required for degree or certificate program for any transcripts evaluated after aid has been disbursed.
- Students with a baccalaureate or professional degree from a foreign school or the United States are ineligible.
- I must notify the FLC Financial Aid Office in writing by completing a "Decline of Financial Aid" form if I enroll or attend any other college or post secondary school within the same award year (08/22/2015 to 08/04/2016). I cannot receive financial aid from two or more institutions at the same time or periods of overlapping terms. If I was already disbursed at FLC, I will repay FLC first prior to receiving aid at another college.
- Financial Aid will disburse my funds based on my actual enrollment status at the time of disbursement. Late-start or waitlist class(es) will not be considered for payment until the class(es) begin. If I have an increase in the number of units, adjustments will only be made during the following weeks: week 1, week 3, week 5, week 9, and on the recalculation date established by the Financial Aid Office for each semester.
- If I plan to enroll in courses at American River College, Cosumnes River College, and/or Sacramento City College, I must submit a Consortium Request form. Course(s) enrolled at ARC, CRC, or SCC must be from my declared program of study at FLC. I must be enrolled in at least 0.5 units at FLC (my home school) to be considered for a consortium. All Consortium Request forms must be submitted no later than the deadlines established by the Financial Aid Office for each semester to the school granting your certificate, degree, or transfer regardless of if I have any outstanding documents. Consortiums will be processed for disbursement by the recalculation date. Consortium deadlines and recalculation dates for each semester are available online at www.flc.losrios.edu Quick Links: Financial Aid, then click on Financial Aid Deadlines on the left menu.
- If I withdraw from school, I may be required to repay any unearned portion of federal fund(s) received. In addition, I will be billed for any institutional portion Folsom Lake College is required to refund the Department of Education for the financial aid assistance I received. Until this institutional portion is paid in full, a hold will be placed on my Los Rios School record, which prevents me from registering for classes and obtaining academic transcripts. Furthermore, I will be ineligible to receive any Title IV funding.
- The Department of Education or the Financial Aid Office may select my file for a process called "verification". This selection may take place any time during the school year, even after I begin to receive financial assistance. The verification process will require patience and cooperation as I complete this federal requirement. The verification process takes 4 to 6 weeks from the time that the Financial Aid Office receives all requested documents. I am required to repay any over awarded amount that I have received as determined by the verification process due to subsequent corrections received after any disbursement(s).
- A federal student loan request will only be considered after I have completed the FAFSA application process, all grant eligibility has been determined, and I have received an award letter from FLC. I must be enrolled, maintain at least half-time enrollment status for the entire semester, and meet SAP to be eligible for a loan during the entire award year. In addition, I am encouraged to attend an in-person Loan Informational Workshop and complete the online Federal Direct Loan entrance counseling workshop at www.studentloans.gov. Late-start or waitlist class(es) will not be considered until the class(es) begin. In addition, if I am enrolled in ALL late start classes, my loan application will be processed after I am attending at least half-time status.