Associate Degree for Transfer
A.S.-T. in Public Health Science
The Associate of Science in Public Health Science for Transfer Degree program provides students with a major that fulfills the general requirements for transfer to the California State University. Students with this degree will receive priority admission with junior status to the California State University system. Students should work closely with their Folsom Lake College counselor to ensure that they are taking the appropriate coursework to prepare for majoring in Public Health Science at the institution they wish to transfer to because major and general education requirements may vary for each CSU and the degree may only transfer to specific institutions.
This program has the following completion requirements:
(1) Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education – Breadth Requirements.
(B) A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
(2) Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
Catalog Date: June 1, 2019
|Course Code||Course Title||Units|
|STAT 300||Introduction to Probability and Statistics||4|
|HEED 300||Health Science||3|
|PSYC 300||General Principles||3|
|HEED 302||Introduction to Public Health||3|
|BIOL 307||Biology of Organisms (4)||4 - 5|
|or BIOL 310||General Biology (4)|
|or BIOL 400||Principles of Biology (5)|
|CHEM 400||General Chemistry I||5|
|BIOL 430||Anatomy and Physiology||5|
|BIOL 431||Anatomy and Physiology||5|
|A minimum of 3 units from the following:||3|
|NUTRI 300||Nutrition (3)|
|SOC 300||Introductory Sociology (3)|
|ECON 302||Principles of Macroeconomics (3)|
|ECON 304||Principles of Microeconomics (3)|
|PSYC 356||Human Sexuality (3)|
|Total Units:||35 - 36|
The Associate in Science in Public Health Science for Transfer (AS-T) degree may be obtained by completion of 60 transferable, semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis described in the Required Program, and (b) either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- apply the foundations of public health including historical philosophy, core values, organizational structure, and ethics to local, regional, national, and global societies.
- understand and apply the concepts of epidemiology and evidence based data collection methods and analysis.
- identify, compare, and contrast the factors that contribute to public health disparities.
- define and differentiate between health populations and apply basic approaches that allow for identification of primary health related areas of concern for those populations.
- apply concepts used in community organizing and project planning.
The Public Health Science A.S. for Transfer can provide students with the foundational knowledge necessary for transfer to a 4-year Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree program. Career opportunities for students who have earned BS or BA degrees in Public Health include but are not limited to: epidemiologist, community health worker, environmental scientist, health educator, health services manager, medical services manager, health specialties teacher, healthcare social worker, mental health and substance abuse social worker, mental health counselor, and natural sciences manager. Some careers may require additional training.