Folsom Lake College has one graduation (also known as Commencement) ceremony each year at the end of the spring semester in May. Summer (August) and fall (December) graduates, and spring (May) candidates earning an associate degree may participate. All students who are eligible for an associate degree must petition by the deadline date.
Graduate and Candidate Information
Congratulations on the completion or near completion of your degree at Folsom Lake College! We look forward to celebrating with you, your family, and friends at our Commencement ceremony on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, at 6:30 pm at the Harris Center for the Arts. Doors leading into the Harris Center lobby will open at 5:00 pm and doors inside the venue entering the theatres will open at 5:30 pm. Graduates and candidates will be emailed details about the ceremony in early April 2019.
- If you are participating in the Commencement ceremony, you must submit the form by Thursday, April 25, 2019 in order to ensure you get guest tickets.
If you have questions about the Commencement ceremony, please call Admissions & Records at ( 916) 608-6500.
Summer and Fall 2018 graduates and Spring 2019 candidates (who have petitioned with a college counselor for an associate degree by the Friday, March 1, 2019 deadline) may participate in the May 22, 2019 ceremony.
Thursday, April 25, 2019 is the deadline to sign up to walk in the Commencement ceremony (and be guaranteed guest tickets for Stage 1).
Tickets for guests will be required for entry and re-entry into the Harris Center for the Commencement ceremony. All attendees including children of any age will need a ticket in order to enter the Harris Center. All graduates MUST sign up to walk in the ceremony by Thursday, April 25, 2019, in order to obtain guest tickets. Eligible students will be sent an email with directions on securing their guest tickets.
There is no cost associated with the tickets. 2-4 guest tickets will be provided for Stage 1 per graduate, depending on sign-ups. After the April 25 deadline, it will be determined how many guest tickets each graduate will receive for Stage 1 (depending on the number of graduates participating and the venue capacity). There will be overflow seating with a live video feed in Stages 2 and 3. There will also be a YouTube live stream video available online for graduates' family members and friends. Graduate's family and friends should plan to arrive together if they would like to sit together as guests are asked to refrain from saving seats.
Although tickets are required, there is no reserved seating - seating will be on a first-come basis. Students who miss the April 25 deadline or the Phase 1 and 2 windows for ticket ordering can make requests for consideration through the Ticket Office only (for the overflow Stage 2 and 3 seating). Tickets cannot be reissued if lost.
There will be two windows for ticket ordering:
May 6 to 10: Window 1 - Initial ticket orders for 1 (live ceremony held in Stage 1) - pickup in the FLC Welcome & Student Success Center, Aspen Hall/FL1. Guest ticket pick-up hours are Monday 12:00 to 7:00 pm, Tuesday through Thursday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, and Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
May 14 to 17: Window 2 - Release of extra overflow seating tickets (seating in Stages 2 and 3 have live video feed of ceremony). Pick up in the FLC Welcome & Student Success Center, Aspen Hall/FL1 (see Wait List information below). Pick-up hours are Tuesday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, and Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
May 20 to 22: Week of Ceremony - On Monday and Tuesday, if graduates will not be attending the ceremony, they will be asked to return unused tickets for distribution on May 22. Starting the day of commencement, May 22, at 5:00pm, the remaining tickets available in the Harris Center Ticket Office will be given out on on first-come, first-served basis.
Wait List for Additional Tickets
Students can sign up on a waiting list to request two additional tickets as part of your initial order for the Commencement ceremony. Please note this does not guarantee additional tickets since accommodating these requests is subject to venue seating capacity. You will be informed via email on May 13 if your request for extra tickets can be filled. The additional tickets may be in either Stage One, Two, or Three - depending on the number of graduates walking and seating capacity. Tickets will be issued in order of the date added to the wait list.
The Harris Center for the Arts is accessible to guests with special needs. Accessible seating locations are available for guests in wheelchairs or with limited mobility in all theaters. Wireless Assisted Listening Devices (ALD) are available for check-out at the Kirklin Coat Check Room located in the first floor lobby. Please notify staff when picking up guest tickets that you need "accessible" or "companion" seating.
In order to participate in the ceremony, you must purchase your cap and gown in advance at the FLC College Store. The cap, tassel, and gown (teal mortarboard, teal & black tassel, and teal robe) are then yours to keep and are the required attire for the ceremony. You have an option to purchase the cap and gown set online - make sure to give yourself enough time for shipping.
Cap and gown set
$31.00 including tax (Prices are subject to change.)
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) members may wear a gold PTK stole and/or other PTK regalia. You may purchase these items in the FLC College Store (stole for $24 plus tax, honor cord for $15 plus tax) or online at the Phi Theta Kappa website: www.ptk.org.
Other items you may purchase from the College Store (but not required)
Graduation Announcements - $1.00 each plus tax/Box of 25 for $19.95 plus tax
Additional tassels - $6.99 plus tax
- Students may decorate their caps. All decorations must be appropriate and respectful for the occasion.
- Students may wear leis.
- Students may wear tassels, stoles, or cords representing other student programs/affiliations that they are involved in, such as Phi Theta Kappa, Veterans, EOPS, student government, etc.
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019:
- Check-in between 4:45 to 5:45 pm at the Harris Center for the Arts in room PAC-1230 (see check-in map for directions). Do not bring any personal items with you (purses, backpacks, etc.) as you will not be able to leave these behind in the staging area. When you check-in, you will receive your announcement card. Please make sure you hang onto this card as you will hand it to the reader as you step on stage. The reader MUST have this card to call your name as you cross the stage to be honored as a graduate. This card is also your match card for the commencement photographer - Ultimate Exposures.
- You must be in room PAC-1270 at 6:00 pm for the Graduate Information Session prior to the ceremony. Graduates should be in their cap, gown, and tassel (may be purchased from the FLC College Store). Note: Extra caps, gowns, and tassels will NOT be available at the ceremony. During this time, you will be instructed on entering and exiting the commencement area, receiving your diploma cover on stage, proper tassel placement, and seating arrangements.
- The ceremony will begin at 6:30 pm SHARP.
- You will be led to the graduate seating area in front of the stage. As soon as you are at your seat, sit down.
- At the appropriate time in the ceremony, President Yamamura will present the graduating class to the Los Rios Board member(s). At this time, all graduates will be asked to stand. The ushers will indicate to the front rows when to proceed onto the stage. The first row should remain standing but other rows should sit down. As the last graduates leave the row in front, the next row should stand in unison. Graduates will approach the stage from the right side.
- You will hand your announcer card to the reader and as your name is read, proceed to President Yamamura who will hand you a diploma cover and congratulate you. You will receive the diploma cover in your left hand, and shake hands with your right and pose for a photo. You will then exit the opposite end of the stage where you will take another photo.
- Proceed down the aisle back to your seat. You are to sit down once you return from the stage. This allows spectators to see others receive their diploma covers.
- After all graduates have received their diploma cover, the FLC graduating class will be formally presented and tassels moved from right to left.
- Upon completion of the ceremony, graduates and faculty will be asked to stand for the Recessional which will take place as follows:
- Stage dignitaries will exit first
- Faculty exit second
- Graduates exit third, starting with the graduates in the front row
- All graduates must exit from the Main Stage area. Please do not stop until all graduates have left the seating area.
- Faculty, followed by the graduates, proceed through the lobby, out the front doors of the Harris Center where the faculty will form two lines for the graduates to walk through to then meet their guests.
The Commencement ceremony will be held on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, starting at 6:30 pm, at the Harris Center for the Arts at Folsom Lake College.
Parking is free during the ceremony. However, all red (fire lanes), green (short term), and blue (handicapped) zones will be enforced. There is a drop-off area immediately in front of the Harris Center (Note: this area will be blocked off immediately following the ceremony until the departing crowd dissipates).
Admission tickets will be required for all guests to enter and re-enter the Harris Center. Please contact your graduate for tickets.
Doors leading into the Harris Center main lobby will open at 5:00 pm and theater entrance doors will open at 5:30 pm. Guests should not arrive prior to 5:00 pm as event staff will be setting up for the ceremony. Guests are asked to be on time as the ceremony will start promptly at 6:30 pm.
Guests are to remain seated throughout the ceremony and should not block entrances, exits, or the view of other guests. We also ask guests refrain from saving seats.
Latecomers will be seated at the discretion of the ushers at a suitable break in the ceremony. If you arrive late, we appreciate you will want to take your seat as soon as possible and accommodations will be made as needed.
Courtesy During the Ceremony
Please turn off all cell phones, electronic watch alarms, and other devices before the ceremony begins. Please refrain from noise makers, blow horns, and balloons or signs which obstruct the view of others.
Accommodations for Guests with Disabilities / Accessible Seating
Designated handicapped parking is available. In addition, there is a drop-off area in front of the Harris Center.
The Harris Center is accessible to guests with special needs. Accessible seating locations are available for guests in wheelchairs or with limited mobility in all theaters. Wireless Assisted Listening Devices (ALD) are available for check-out at the Kirklin Coat Check Room located in the first floor lobby. Graduates should request "accessible" or "companion" tickets when picking up guest tickets in the Welcome & Student Success Center.
Use discretion in bringing a young child to the ceremony. A responsible adult should accompany all children, regardless of age, throughout the ceremony. All guests (including infants or children) require a ticket to meet fire marshal regulations.
Drug and Alcohol Free Campus
Consumption of or being under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances while on campus is strictly prohibited.
Summer and Fall 2018 graduates
Diplomas have already been distributed to all 2018 graduates. You will receive a diploma cover when your name is read and you cross the stage at the ceremony. Note: Diploma covers are only given to graduates who participate in the ceremony.
Spring 2019 degree candidates
You will not receive your diploma at the commencement ceremony. You will, however, receive a diploma cover. After grades for the Spring 2019 semester have been posted in early June, the Evaluations department will begin conducting final evaluations, followed by the posting of the degree on the transcript and ordering of diplomas. This is a lengthy process with many petitions to evaluate. Degree posting will occur by the start of August and your diploma will be printed by mid to late September. Please be sure to notify the Evaluations Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org of any change of address.
- Degrees and Certificates
- Graduating from FLC
- Transfer to a 4-Year College