What is Advanced Education?
Advanced education is a program for current high school students who are concurrently enrolled at Folsom Lake College. Advanced education students may enroll in two college courses each semester.
- You have completed the 10th grade or will be at least 16 years old by the first day of instruction.
- You demonstrate exemplary academic achievement as evidenced by a GPA of 2.7 or above, an analysis of transcripts, letters of support from high school counselors and teachers, and/or other academic success indicators.
- The course you want to take is not available to you at your school.
- The course is not remedial (1-99 classes).
- The course is not being repeated due to an unsatisfactory grade.
- The course is for advanced study and you are able to demonstrate adequate preparation and completed prerequisites for the course.
You must follow these steps every semester that you wish to register in classes while concurrently enrolled in high school:
Apply to Folsom Lake College
- All first-time advanced education students must complete the Folsom Lake College online application. Note: If you are a continuing advanced education student, you do not need to complete the full application again. Instead, login to eServices and complete the Supplemental Enrollment Information Form.
- Each semester/term, complete the Advanced Education Application Packet (PDF), and include the following:
- Copy of your high school transcript and current high school class schedule
- Approval signatures of a high school official and your parent/legal guardian
- A copy of your Private School Affidavit (when appropriate)
- Documentation of age (16 years of age or older)
- Completed personal statement
Please Note: The high school administrator or counselor who approves and signs your Advanced Education Application must be on the approved list for that school. For private/home schools, the administrator who signs must be listed on the Private School Affidavit. Students with applications that do not have "approved" signers will not be allowed to meet with an FLC counselor.
Satisfy Course Prerequisites
If a prerequisite is required for the course you will be taking, your high school transcripts, other college transcripts, or AP test score must be submitted with the Advanced Education Application Packet before meeting with the college counselor.
Meet with an FLC Counselor
Advanced education students must have their Advanced Education Application packet approved by an FLC counselor. Call the Counseling office at (916) 608-6510 for drop-in counseling information. (Also refer to the cover sheet of the Advanced Education Application Packet for designated times for drop-in during the priority registration period. During open and late registration, any drop-in counseling times are appropriate for FLC counselor approval.)
Advanced education students qualify for priority registration as Priority 3. All advanced education students must register for classes in person at the Admissions & Records office at a Folsom Lake College campus; advanced education students cannot enroll online. Students must bring a completed and approved Advanced Education Application Packet and photo ID with them at the time of enrollment.
As advanced education students have their tuition/enrollment fees waived, students are only responsible for the payment of the additional fees, including the universal transit pass (UTP) and student representation fee. Note: High school students may be exempt from fees associated with being a California non-resident; however, international student tuition is not waived.